After capturing a Lost One the PCs began to connect the dots that link the recent attacks on them in Overlook to the mysterious dark creeper Modra. After scouring Overlook for clues and rumors the PCs discovered a fair amount of interesting and disconcerting information about Modra:
- “The threat of the orcs might be ended after the siege of Bordrin’s Watch, but word from the frontier is there’s more trouble on the march. Just like Tusk’s clan, the rabble of the mountains are getting their hands on good-grade weapons and armor, and they’re looking to use it.”
- “You get all races in Overlook, but the dark ones that pass through the city keep to themselves. More often than not, those you do see are in the company of Lost Ones bodyguards and enforcers.”
- “Someone by the name ‘Modra’ was said to be buying information a few months back, looking for those with experience mining the old caverns of the Stonehome.”
- “Modra is a dark creeper, and well known in the city’s criminal underworld.”
- “It’s said that the dark creeper Modra brokers weapons and armor through the Overlook black markets.”
- “Modra met up with a shadar-kai witch a month ago. Some said she was doing a deal for weapons, but she didn’t look much like a warrior.”
- “The far traders coming into Overlook talk of more and more trouble on the roads. They say the Red Hand of Doom was behind what happened in Brindol a few months past, but there’s more cults than that on the rise across the frontier.”
- “The dark creeper is just the front man for arms dealing in the city. No one knows who’s behind the operation, but rumor says it’s bigger than anyone in Overlook will ever know.”
- “Modra was in the city three weeks past, but he was keeping a low profile. He had a squad of dark creepers with him, must have figured they’d stand out.”
- “Last time anyone saw Modra was just before the raid on Bordrin’s Watch. I heard he’s been on the run since then. Some job that went bad.”
During the search of the city the PCs also discovered Reniss whose sister had been a member of the Far Striders until she was cut down in the vents when Tusk’s army attacked. Reniss’s sister used her last bit of arcane energy to send her sister a message—the name Modra. When Reniss received this message she knew that her sister had died and that this Modra, was responsible for it. Reniss, bent on revenge, began her own search for Modra. While conducting her search she heard that there was another group of people in Overlook searching for the dark creeper. Knowing her chances to enact her revenge Reniss would be better with aid, Reniss arranged an encounter with the PCs and told them that Modra had been making frequent use of a poor-house called the Happy Beggar. She then accompanied the PCs to the Happy Beggar to help them with her search.
In the basement of the Happy Beggar the PCs found a collapsed tunnel leading into a shadowy system of caverns stretching below Overlook. As they began to explore the caves the PCs encountered a group of Shadow Hunter Bats who immediately attacked the PC who were intruding into their caves.
After defeating or driving away the bats the PCs climbed down a cliff face and successfully avoided being contaminated by the deadly Doomspire mushrooms which grew thick on the cave walls. Now they rest briefly before venturing deeper into the caves…